This scene shows a busy Mansion House Bay about 1908 with the Northern Steamship Company's Twin Screw Steamer Ngapuhi at the Mansion House Bay jetty. The length of Ngapuhi was 190 feet (57.9 metres).
The funnel behind Ngapuhi is the Company's smaller vessel Clansman.
The Northern Company vessels visited Kawau often at that time, both on day excursions from Auckland or during summer cruises the Ngapuhi made between 1904 and 1908, until the improved roads and the railway north led to a decline in patronage. The Ngapuhi made three return trips per week between Auckland and Whangarei for over 20 years. Her remains are one of the wrecks on the northern side of Rangitoto.