This photograph of the traditional Cornish Pump House built on the south side of the island was taken in 1951.  The main structure is of sandstone blocks and the chimney is red brick.

To the right of the building is the opening to Whittaker's Shaft just visible at the surface of the sea. Whitakers Shaft brought mining to an end during the 1850's by causing seawater to flood the mine.